When you got married, you meant it when you said, “forever and always.” That’s why the uneasiness you’ve been feeling lately has taken you by surprise. As you sit and sip your morning coffee, you find yourself wondering, “Are we headed for divorce?”
Sometimes the signs that divorce is imminent are big and bold. Explosive arguments, infidelity and drug abuse are things that often bring a marriage to an end. Sometimes, however, the signs are more subtle and take place over extended periods of time.
Signs that divorce is on the horizon
These signs could be pointing you toward divorce:
- Malaise, disappointment, or general unhappiness with regards to your spouse. You used to feel so happy when you spent time together, but that has changed over the last few months.
- Feelings of resentment or contempt toward your spouse. We all have moments when we resent something our spouse does. If, however, you constantly feel that way, you may be heading straight for a divorce.
- An inability to hold a conversation without the two of you fighting. No matter how much you try, the two of you always end up having a shouting match.
- You try to avoid your partner as much as possible. For example, you know when your partner will be home so you lock yourself in your office because he knows not to disturb you there.
- Lack of intimacy leaves the two of you living like roommates.
- Your family and friends are telling you to leave your spouse because they are concerned by their behavior towards you.
If you recognize yourself in any of the signs listed above, contact an experienced legal advisor. They can help you decide what path you should take.